Monday, June 30, 2008

Engine and Transmission Removal

As the title suggests, we were able to get the engine and tranny out this weekend. I had prepped everything during the week so really all we had to do was hook up the engine hoist and we were ready to go.


Header clearance is a definite problem here. Once we got the engine lifted up a couple of inches we had to take the headers out through the bottom of the engine bay. The other thing that gave me some trouble was the shifter linkage on the tranny. It got stuck on the transmission tunnel, and we had to drop the engine/tranny back into the car so I could remove the shifter. After this it came out with little to no issues.


In the pics below you will see where I had some problems. When the transmission snagged on the tunnel the engine slid sideways and bent the upper radiator support. I could easily reshape the part, but after giving it a "once-over", I decided the piece will be replaced using parts from National Parts Depot. They have the part in 18ga. sheet metal versus the 20ga. Ford used. When the motor goes back in the car it will have significantly more power; I think the heavier sheet metal will be good thing.



Here it is coming out of the car.


I have it in the driveway for now, but will be storing in the shed soon.


The empty engine bay. Still lots of work to do in here, having the engine out should make that easier.



The damage I did. I think the oil pan got it.



The damage that was already done. If you look closely, you can see that the strut rod mounts are also bent pretty bad. The replacement part includes the front cross-member as well. The more I think about it and look at the damaged area, the more I think I am making the right decision on replacing the whole thing.




Since I had the headers out, I went ahead and removed the exhaust pipes as well. No pics of that though. I have some clean up to do, and have to get the car, parts, and tools back in the garage. If you have any questions about this, or want some tips for your engine/transmission removal, email me, or leave a comment. I will be glad to help.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.